Friday, August 5, 2011

Engaging THE FOUR HOUR WORK WEEK - Week 8 / BODY - Week 1

This week I lost myself in “The Four Hour Body”. As an actress, looks matter, and I’m always trying to lower body fat while gaining muscle. I read anything I get my hands on. I’ve tried stuff for decades, and I look fine (with the right clothes), but never get to that lean “runner’s body” I crave. So I’m playing with what the book presents. Shouldn’t hurt, and any help is great.
As with The Four Hour Work Week, I was happy to see I’ve been on the right track in some areas, or close. I eat fairly low carb/fat/sugar already, drink a ton, keep lifting one set of muscles to failure (though I usually go heavy to light weight), then move on. My body stays about the same. Sometimes a few pounds less or more, but I’m about my average body fat and muscle composition. Can’t really see my muscles, just general outlines, because of the stupid fat that lays over them.
So during short breaks this week, I’ve been reading the book, revising my eating and workout as I encounter new info. in it, saving some for later.
Decided to do the muscle building exercises, but try to eat for lowering fat. If I don’t build muscle as fast as I could because I’m under eating, I should still lose fat as fast as possible, and I can always eat more later and build muscle over a longer period of time. I’ll grow some muscle. I just don’t want to put on more fat. So I’ll stay with the slow carb diet, and not add the extra carbs for his fast muscle growth diet. At least to start. I’ll try to eat smaller meals more often, though it ‘s hard, trying to eat 20-30 g of protein per meal, and balance that with enough slow carbs, which makes it a huge meal, so then I risk eating too much at once and slowing fat loss.
Because I want all my muscles to grow, I’m opting for Neal’s weight lifting, broken into 3 days of different workouts, plus I’m doing the “minimal workout for women” that won’t interfere with the weight lifting, and consists of 3 main exercises, plus another 2 that help shape waist and hips. And before I eat, I’m doing 120 sec. of the anti-carb exercises Tim does before and after meals on his high carb days (which also don’t interfere with the muscle building workouts).
I’m also adding 5-30 min. of glide machine on non-lift days, to keep my darn constipation at bay.
Will wait before adding additional supplements to boost the body, since I should gain muscle and lose fat with the eating and workout. I can always add them, and I’m juggling enough keeping track of food and exercise right now.
There are 5-7 different workouts in his book, and I’m doing 3 now. The others look less fun (though bigger results), and I figure I can play with them in a few months. I’m so long, I’m totally unafraid of “hulking out”. What a lovely problem to have. I can always cut back, and figure I will, once I have the body I want. Save time, keep the body.
After breakfast, tried my first 4HB weight lifting! Took me a while to figure out what machines to use and where to adjust the seats so my posture was correct. Trying to make sure my shoulders are down and back properly so I don’t injure myself. I did “push” weights - chest, shoulder, triceps. Only managed 5-7 of the hard ab exercise (too weak and sore), but it’s easier using the half-ball to lean on, rather than Gma.’s blue quilt. Examined my posture in the mirror to make sure it was correct for the cat vomit (abs), plank (can’t hold for 30 sec. yet, but I’ll get there), and Kettleball swing. So it took me longer than 30 minutes. I’m learning. Once I have it down, I should do this workout in half the time. I spent 5 minutes on the glide machine and left - sweating!
Meanwhile, I took care of the 2 foster kittens (and our cat), edited another short script, got my Inbox back down to an average of 2-3 after less than an hour a day,
I don’t mind setting aside “The Four Hour Work Week” for “The Four Hour Body” because once I figure out the body stuff, it’ll be a daily routine and auto-reshape my physique while I’m working on my Work Week stuff. I should also have more time to work on my Work Week, once I’m spending less time at the gym.
I’ve decided Sundays will be my “Pig-Out” day - per “Four Hour Body”, to keep my metabolism in line. Aside from carbs, I’ll have to work at figuring out evil stuff to eat to make sure it helps throw my body off. I have some frozen chocolate in the freezer…..but mostly I’m thinking of fruit, pumpkin filling pudding, maybe some low-fat ice cream…..

No comments:

Post a Comment